- Top lights: Bright cities and their contribution to economic development (with M. Krause). Journal of Development Economics, 102880, 2022. doi: 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2022.102880
- What can we learn from nighttime lights for small geographies? Measurement errors and heterogeneous elasticities (with G. McCord). Remote Sensing, Vol. 14(5), 1190, 2022. doi: 10.3390/rs14051190
- Disparate air pollution reductions during California’s COVID-19 economic shutdown (with J. Burney, S. Benz, K. Hemes, M. Levy, P. Polonik, K. Ricke and L. Sanford). Nature Sustainability, 2022. doi: 10.1038/s41893-022-00856-1
- The spread of COVID-19 and the BCG vaccine: A natural experiment in reunified Germany (with M. Pinkovskiy). Blog post at Voxeu.org. Blog post at Liberty Street Economics. CEPR Covid Economics: Vetted and Real-Time Papers. Econometrics Journal, Vol. 24(3), 2021. Editor’s choice/Lead article. doi: 10.1093/ectj/utab006/
- Holding on? Ethnic divisions, political institutions and the duration of economic declines (with K. Thomsson). Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 144, 102457, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2020.102457.
- Fueling conflict? (De)Escalation and bilateral aid (with M. Gassebner, P. Schaudt and S. Langlotz). Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 32(2), 2020. doi: 10.1002/jae.2797.
- Do weak institutions prolong crises? On the identification, characteristics, and duration of declines during economic slumps (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), World Bank Economic Review, Vol. 34(3), 2020. doi: 10.1093/wber/lhz015.
- Poverty accounting (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), European Economic Review, Vol. 104, 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.euroecorev.2018.03.003
- The dynamics of stagnation (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), Macroeconomic Dynamics, Vol. 20(8), 2016. doi: 10.1017/S1365100515000231
Under review or in revision
- [UPDATED] Connective financing: Chinese infrastructure projects and the diffusion of economic activity in developing countries (with A. Dreher, A. Fuchs, B. Parks, A. Strange, and M. Tierney). CEPR Working Paper. Interactive feature. Blog post. China project data. Media coverage: VoxChina. Washington Post Monkey Cage. New York Times. National Public Radio (NPR). Brookings. CGD. Submitted.
- [NEW] Ethnofederalism and ethnic voting (with R. Hodler and P. Schaudt). CESifo Working Paper No. 9314. CESifo Munich, 2021. Submitted.
- [NEW] The political geography of cities (with C. Lessmann and P. Schaudt). SoDa Laboratories Working Paper Series No. 2021-11, Monash Business School, 2021. Submitted.
Papers in preparation
- [NEW] Local majorities: How administrative divisions shape comparative development (with R. Hodler and P. Schaudt). Economics Working Paper Series, No 2021-10, University of St. Gallen.
- Redlining and pollution disparities in U.S. cities (with J. Wichert).
- Using CNNs to study the effects of settlement schemes on housing conditions in Kenya (with L. Sanford)
- The Emergency: The long-term effects of British labor camps in Kenya (with G. Asmus and T. Korn).
- Triggering unrest? Ethnic inequality and droughts in Africa (with M. H. L. Wong).
- fhetprob: A fast QMLE Stata routine for fractional probit models with multiplicative heteroskedasticity, retired background paper
- Income inequality and poverty reduction in Sub-Saharan Africa (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Fosu). 2016. EU – DG DEVCO report.
- Poor trends: The pace of poverty reduction after the Millennium Development Agenda (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai). In: Haddad, L., Kato, H., & Meisel, N. (2015). Growth is Dead, Long Live Growth: The Quality of Economic Growth and Why it Matters. Agence Française de Développement (AFD), Institute of Development Studies (IDS), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Tokyo, Japan.