Published or under revision
- Poverty accounting (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), European Economic Review, Vol. 104. (link to gated version).
- Do weak institutions prolong crises? On the identification, characteristics, and duration of declines during economic slumps (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), cond. accepted, World Bank Economic Review.
- The dynamics of stagnation (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), Macroeconomic Dynamics, Vol. 20(8). (link to gated version).
- Holding on? Ethnic divisions, political institutions and the duration of economic declines (with K. Thomsson).
- Fueling conflict? (De)Escalation and bilateral aid (with M. Gassebner, P. Schaudt and S. Langlotz).
Papers with conference drafts
- Top lights: Bright cities and their contribution to economic development (with M. Krause).
- Connective financing: Chinese infrastructure projects and the diffusion of economic activity in developing countries (with A. Dreher, A. Fuchs, B. Parks, A. Strange, and M. Tierney). Interactive feature. Blog post. China project data. Media coverage: Washington Post Monkey Cage. Brookings. CGD.
- Neighborhood disputes? Spatial inequalities and civil conflict in Africa (with M. H. L. Wong).
- The economic effects of district reforms (with C. Lessmann and P. Schaudt).
- Growth and spatial inequalities (with M. Krause and C. Lessmann).
- fhetprob: A fast QMLE Stata routine for fractional probit models with multiplicative heteroskedasticity, retired background paper
- Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa 2016 (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Fosu). EU – DG DEVCO report.
For most papers I am implementing a new method, adapting an old one or implementing other econometrically interesting things. My plan is to eventually post the most exciting bits either as code-snippets, fully-fledged Stata programs, or R functions under the heading “Data & Code”. There you can also find the data sets used in my published papers.