Published or under revision
- Holding on? Ethnic divisions, political institutions and the duration of economic declines (with K. Thomsson). Journal of Development Economics, doi: 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2020.102457.
- Fueling conflict? (De)Escalation and bilateral aid (with M. Gassebner, P. Schaudt and S. Langlotz). Journal of Applied Econometrics. doi: 10.1002/jae.2797.
- Poverty accounting (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), European Economic Review, Vol. 104. doi: 10.1016/j.euroecorev.2018.03.003
- Do weak institutions prolong crises? On the identification, characteristics, and duration of declines during economic slumps (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), World Bank Economic Review, doi: 10.1093/wber/lhz015.
- The dynamics of stagnation (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Szirmai), Macroeconomic Dynamics, Vol. 20(8). (link to gated version).
- The spread of COVID-19 and the BCG vaccine: A natural experiment in reunified Germany (with Maxim Pinkovskiy). Updated version (July 20). Blog post at Voxeu.org. Blog post at Liberty Street Economics. CEPR Covid Economics: Vetted and Real-Time Papers.
- Top lights: Bright cities and their contribution to economic development (with M. Krause).
- Connective financing: Chinese infrastructure projects and the diffusion of economic activity in developing countries (with A. Dreher, A. Fuchs, B. Parks, A. Strange, and M. Tierney). CEPR Working Paper. Interactive feature. Blog post. China project data. Media coverage: Washington Post Monkey Cage. New York Times. National Public Radio (NPR). Brookings. CGD.
Papers in preparation
- The political geography of cities (with C. Lessmann and P. Schaudt).
- COVID-19 mobility shock reveals patterns of environmental injustice in California (with J. Burney, M. Levy, S. Benz, L. Sanford, K. S. Hemes, P. Polonik).
- Colonial structure, local representation, and development (with R. Hodler and P. Schaudt).
- Nighttime lights and income at small geographies (with G. McCord).
- The Emergency: The long-term effects of British labor camps in Kenya (with G. Asmus and T. Korn).
- Triggering unrest? Ethnic inequality and droughts in Africa (with M. H. L. Wong).
- Growth and spatial inequalities (with M. Krause and C. Lessmann).
- fhetprob: A fast QMLE Stata routine for fractional probit models with multiplicative heteroskedasticity, retired background paper
- Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa 2016 (with D. de Crombrugghe and A. Fosu). EU – DG DEVCO report.
For most papers I am implementing a new method, adapting an old one or implementing other econometrically interesting things. My plan is to eventually post the most exciting bits either as code-snippets, fully-fledged Stata programs, or R functions under the heading “Data & Code”. There you can also find the data sets used in my published papers.